Tuesday 11 January 2011

Lessons learnt from foundation portfolio- Adam

I believe there a few lessons that could be learnt from our foundation portfolio piece. Firstly, I would have to say that this year we must stick to the storyboard much more closely compared to last year as I remember our group not sticking to it closely when filming. I have also noted that if we do need to change our story or film in any parts, which we probably will, we will need to note this on the storyboard and add in appropriate scenes etc.I believe with us we could stick to the storyboard using postet notes provided instead of the full sheet of paper storyboard as this could allow us to swap appropriate scenes when needed to.A set plan of when to film and when we should be blogging should be made to help us track our progress.

When researching this time round I will definitely know not to do a full textual analysis on the films I want to research but instead cherry pick important parts of the film. This would not only save the reader from getting bored but more importantly it will filter out the more useful notes for myself. I will also make sure I watch many short films which could benefit me
2 examples of poor framing

 A few lessons also need to be taken from my blog last year as I believe I may have used it in too much of an essay format and even though I did have screen shots and bullet points I believe I could use more in my blog to allow the viewer to really engage with the blog. 

The camerawork in our foundation piece was okay but I think we need to work on our framing, variety of shot, focus and other important factors such as white balance. I noticed a few areas where the white balance wasn't as good as it could of been. In our advanced portfolio I believe we need to make sure the factors I mentioned we need to work on must be followed through. A key skill I believe I have taken is how to correctly pan the camera in a way that looks natural and not noticeable. In the foundation portfolio I also believe that we did not film enough footage that we needed so in our advanced portfolio we should film much more than is required so we have more to play with during editing.Our framing is something we must definitely work on and I believe that we can overcome this problem. For example looking at the top example of poor framing I can see now why it is poor framing because there is too much irrelevant setting there. The blue garage door pulls the attention towards it whereas we should be focusing on the story.

The hands and handle are out of focus
There were also quite a few problems with focus in our piece which must be worked on. This will be managed in our advanced portfolio and the only instance where out of focus shots should be used is in shallow and deep depth of field shots.

The lighting in our foundation piece could of been managed better to make sure it was constantly being thought of. I believe our group did not pay much attention to this as the outside scenes are fine due to natural lighting however inside scenes didn't really capture the mood needed for the topic (thriller). The lighting was also poor in the title sequence I found; it was meant to be a dark scene however we can still achieve a dark setting without it actually being hard to make things out. 
This is an example of poor lighting

 Our editing process seemed okay except a few poor continuity errors. However, one continuity error, if noticeable, can ruin the whole piece and ruin the whole illusion that the piece is trying to get across to the audience. One thing I would like to have in our piece is having no continuity errors at all and make everything seem fluent. This can be done by paying careful attention to how each scene comes together so everything is noted step by step in our storyboard. Last year, I learnt how to use garage band and other programs which will be very useful this year as I could use lessons learnt to make a decent soundtrack or piece of music for our advanced portfolio. I believe I could do this as I am quite happy with the music I produced for our title sequence in the foundation portfolio and I believe I can


The variety of shots in our piece also needs to be improved as this will help us gain marks and make the final product look a lot better. Perhaps using a variety of angles in relevant places we could create a certain impression, depending on how we want them to be, for the audience about our characters. We didn't really achieve this well in our foundation portfolio as both characters did not get much variety in the angles used. The example to the right should have really been a high angle so we could create a sense of defeat as we wanted the character to be portrayed to the audience as being almost looked down upon in this particular scene.

 The setting in our piece should be one that fits the theme perfectly as I think in our foundation portfolio we were quite lazy in that we didn't really choose or arrange a decent setting so this time round I would like to make sure we try our hardest to find a setting that can really set off our story. I believe this is down to planning and communication between us and this is something we have all agreed we would do. It could involve texting each other ideas so we may share ideas with each other.

 




Below is our foundation portfolio thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment